Wednesday, 10 July 2013

New pretties!

Hello everyone! Hope you're enjoying your summer thus far. It's been ridiculously hot here for the last little while, so I haven't been thrifting as much. In fact, I've been spending my afternoons watching Mad Men.. in hopes I'll get glimpses of vintage glassware (a bit psychotic, yes?).  Over the last month I have found myself some nice things though, despite not going out much.

I completely re-arranged my hutch, and made it strictly, pink, jadeite and milk glass. I got myself a new jadeite batter bowl, a few saucers and a new bowl.. so I figured I should display them




I also rearranged my cupboard with the see through door, with a bunch of new things I've got, plus older things I've had for a while. I recently fell in love with those vintage silver ombre whiskey glasses.. and found a set of 4 stemmed ones a few days ago. I don't know anything about them, but I think they're gorgeous!



Recently, I took a liking to vintage melamine dishes.. more specifically the pink and turquoise. Over the last few weeks I found a few turquoise pieces. The berry bowls are in crappy condition, but I haven't even gotten around to trying to clean them yet. Does anyone have any tips?



My mom found me a 471 Butterprint casserole to go with my 472 that I found months ago. I've had awful luck with Butterprint, and have only been able to find a 401 and 402 in the last 6 months. So needless to say, ecstatic with her find! Look how cute they are! The 471's are by far my favorite piece



My fiance found me this little set of Hazel Atlas 'Little Hostess' moderntone dishes. Only 3 plates and a sugar bowl, but I cannot tell you how amazed I was that he was able to pick these out. This little set is from the 1950's and is SO cute. I'd eventually like to get a whole set of the pastel colors.. although when I have kids, I don't think I'd trust them with these :)



During the same trip, he also found me this strange old refrigerator dish. It was absolutely filthy, and I had little hope that it would ever look presentable again, but for the price, it was worth a shot. I let it soak overnight and it turned out great! Does anyone have any information on this? I've got a clear version of this as well, and a matching butter dish that I got from my mom a while back.



It was a great week for vintage glassware as well! The first set is a gorgeous Dominion glass set. I was able to find 8 of them. The second set is Libbey, unfortunately there were only 5, but I love the turquoise and gold. Both sets are in unusually great condition too!

 

Last but not least, I found my first fun vintage item at a garage sale. Chilliwack has been terrible for good quality vintage items at garage sales. This is a mint condition Libbey sugar and creamer set in its holder. Very 'Mad Men' if I do say so :)



And that's it for today! Enjoy the beautiful weather, and happy thrifting!

Leanne

3 comments:

  1. O, Wow! So much fun to look at your lovely things, and also how prettily you've arranged them. You sound a little like me - a determined putterer! Puttering is a fun hobby!

    Karen has turned me onto Mad Men and I'm just starting watching on Netflix! It's an extremely seductive show - you just want to watch and watch and watch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :)

      It's addicting isn't it?? I only started it two weeks ago, and I'm embarrassed to say, I'm onto season 4 already. Not to mention I may or may not have a little crush on Don Draper :)

      Delete
    2. He's sort of the epitome of 'tall, dark and handsome'. And I know about surging through a series! I've promised Karen to only watch it with her (she watched it years ago and it'll all seem new to her) but it's difficult not to peek! I've only seen 2 episodes of the first season!

      Delete